Before You Start
Welcome to American Collegiate Live! Soon you’ll be starting your American Collegiate Live classes. Before you start, complete the steps below to avoid any delays with the start of your program.
Contact Your Advisor
Middle East/North Africa
Russia/Central Asia/Eastern Europe
UK and Western Europe
Abbie (North Asia excluding Korea)
Doris (South China)
Erik (North China)
Before You Start: Checklist
- The first week of your program is dedicated to a mandatory orientation. During the orientation, we will cover everything from student support model, academic requirements to technology and campus resources. The hours of orientation may vary depending on the day and where you are located in the world. You will receive an orientation schedule and Zoom login as it gets closer to the start of the program.
- Students enrolled in Tracks 1—3 must activate their UMB email address by August 15th, you are encouraged to activate your email address as soon you receive your welcome letter.
- In order to ensure you have access to UMass Boston systems, you will need to set up your email address. This gives you access to WISER, which is the platform UMB uses to house your courses, grades, placement tests, and more. Please use this guide, which has step-by-step instructions to set up your email and login to WISER.
Certain program tracks require placement testing. Please find your program and track below to determine which tests you must take. The deadline to take this test is January 4, 2021. Please take your tests as soon as possible in order to secure your course registration.
|Track||English Test Required?||Math Test||Test Deadline|
|ACL Track 1||Yes||Yes||January 4, 2021|
|ACL Track 2||No||Yes||January 4, 2021|
|ACL Track 3||No||Yes||January 4, 2021|
|ACL Track 4||No||No||N/A|
|ACL Academy Track 1||Yes||No*||N/A|
|ACL Academy Track 2||No||No*||N/A|
|ACL Academy Track 3||No||No*||N/A|
*Math classes are not offered in ACL Academy.
English Placement Test
Instructions on completing your English placement test can be found here. If you don’t complete the placement test by January 4th, your program will be moved to Track 2.
Math ALEKS Placement Test
Use this link to complete your ALEKS math placement exam, please use your 8 digit Shorelight ID found on your acceptance letter. Instructions on how to complete the exam are here.
If you need further assistance, please watch this video which will tell you everything you need to know about ALEKS! If you don’t complete the placement test by January 4th, you will be placed in Math 115 College Algebra.
No course placement changes will be allowed after January 4, 2021.
- As part of the Live to Device experience, we recommend all students purchase a second monitor. The experience is designed to be optimized with the use of the second monitor. You can find recommended specifications to purchase the monitor here.
- Download no later than one week prior to orientation
- Complete your UCommons profile no later than two weeks prior to orientation
- UCommons is the platform you will use for all Live lectures. Within one week of confirming your enrollment to AC Live, you will be able to set up UCommons. Please utilize the guide here to complete the setup.
- Download Zoom no later than two weeks prior to orientation
- In order to attend your orientation, you will need Zoom. Additionally, Zoom is the audio and video technology used as part of the AC Live experience. If you are in China, you can download the zoom link here. If you are not in China, you can download the zoom link here. You do not need to sign up for an account. As long as you have downloaded Zoom, you will be able to access the Live lectures.
- Register no later than one week prior to orientation
- Hoylu Sketch is the software we use for our interactive white board. You will be able to interact on the whiteboard with your professor and any other student in the classroom. You can register for Hoylu Sketch here.
- Complete no later than one week prior to orientation
- To ensure the best experience for you and your fellow students, there are certain technology requirements you must follow. Please ensure that you have:
- Either a Mac or Windows machine to participate in Live lectures. Please note that our technology is not compatible with phones or tablets.
- A camera on your laptop—it is a requirement to be on video to get credit for class.
- The Google Chrome browser
- Headphones with a microphone
- Strong bandwidth (ie internet speed). You can test your bandwidth here. Please ensure that your internet bandwidth is a minimum of:
- Receiving 1080p HD video requires 10.0 Mbps (up/down).
- Sending 1080p HD video requires 10.0 Mbps (up/down).
- Note: Using a hotspot from your phone or tablet will not suffice.
- A second monitor: A second monitor is recommended for all Live to Device students. Please refer to checklist item number 5 for more details
Once you receive your course schedule, you will also get your textbook list. Please note the all textbooks will be available as e-books, and it is the responsibility of the student to purchase the textbooks. Depending on track, the cost for e-books generally ranges from about $200 to 400 total.
Students enrolled in Tracks 2, 3, and 4 will pay for their English language textbooks along with their tuition. The cost of English textbooks is $225. All other course textbooks are purchased after receiving your schedule.